Sunday, July 21, 2019

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow...

A new day arrived. I shouldn't have taken that Flexeril last night.  I can't ever get going the next day and it feels sluggish and harsh.  I read today that LC Riouff, the Director of Greek Life when I was an undergraduate at Western Carolina, has come out of retirement and will serve again as Director of Greek Life.  I was nearly as flabbergasted as I was about 24 hours ago when the Picard trailer was released.

Christian asked me this morning in our customary text if I was better today.  I told him I was simply more introspective and a touch on the weepy side.   Picard told his clone at the end of Star Trek: Nemesis that "...it is never too late..."  I never thought that statement was true.  In fact, I thought it was very hackneyed and contrived. 

Now, as I turn again back to my own tomorrow, I can see that perhaps that phrase may be true after all.  My thirtieth class reunion is two months away.  Another voice from my past has begun to echo along with that of the StarFleet Captain from yesterday.   The voice of my senior English teacher, Ms. Carol Moss, quoting Robert Frost ever so gently has joined the chorus of things from the past which give me pause.  "The woods are lovely, dark, and deep.  But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep."

"...and miles to go before I sleep."  I don't want the game to end, either, my dear Picard.  Maybe now it doesn't have to end the way I thought it would.  Maybe the tomorrow I hope for will indeed emerge. 

I am not the person I was those many years ago.  I am not even the person I was three years ago.  "Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace - from day to day 'til the last syllable of recorded time."  I better make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment